A Bailey’s Women’s Prize for Fiction Special; Part One

Welcome the first episode of an occasional special series of The Readers, where Simon is joined by a special co-host Eric of LonesomeReader, to discuss all things Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction 2016, In this episode they introduce the Baileys longlist 2016 before they read them all.

The Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction Longlist 2016 () In the first of a special occasional series around this years Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction, Simon and Eric introduce you to the longlist. They discuss the ones they have read and the ones they have yet to but will be, as Eric and Simon are working with the Bailey’s Prize as the Bearded Book Club and will be reading all of them. They will be back in a few weeks to talk about them all. Here is the list…

BWPLonglist

  • A God in Ruins – Kate Atkinson (Doubleday)
  • Rush Oh! – Shirley Barret (Virago)
  • Ruby – Cynthia Bond (Two Roads)
  • The Secret Chord – Geraldine Brooks (Little, Brown)
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet – Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton)
  • A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding – Jackie Copleton (Hutchinson)
  • Whispers Through a Megaphone – Rachel Elliott (One)
  • The Green Road – Anne Enright (Jonathan Cape)
  • The Book of Memory – Petina Gappah (Faber & Faber)
  • Gorsky – Vesna Goldsworthy (Chatto & Windus)
  • The Anatomist’s Dream – Clio Gray (Myrmidon)
  • At Hawthorn Time – Melissa Harrison (Bloomsbury)
  • Pleasantville – Attica Locke (Serpent’s Tail)
  • The Glorious Heresies – Lisa McInerney (John Murray)
  • The Portable Veblen – Elizabeth McKenzie (Fourth Estate)
  • Girl at War – Sara Nović (Little, Brown)
  • The House at the Edge of the World – Julia Rochester (Viking)
  • The Improbability of Love – Hannah Rothschild (Bloomsbury)
  • My Name is Lucy Barton – Elizabeth Strout (Viking)
  • A Little Life – Hanya Yanagihara (Picador)

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in a week’s time when they will be back with more book based banter. If you missed the latest (and last in the series) of You Wrote The Book do go and listen, his guest is Joanna Cannon and they discuss her wonderful debut novel The Trouble With Goats and Sheep.

3 thoughts on “A Bailey’s Women’s Prize for Fiction Special; Part One

  1. Pingback: Thoughts on the Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction Longlist 2016 | Savidge Reads

  2. Just wanted to leave a tiny bit of feedback about the audio quality recently. Simon is very very quiet and Thomas is loud. I am no sound engineer, but just thought I’d let you know, in case anyone else if having difficulties listening. It’s not as bad in headphones, but in the car I can’t hear Simon at all, unless I turn it way up and then Thomas blows the speakers. 🙂

  3. Was it a specific episode? We definitely had a problem with one or two episodes but the most recent one, Ep 148 is pretty balanced.

    However, I can see how in a car Simon’s softer vocal edges might get swallowed up by road noise, whereas my, shall we say, less soft voice cuts through the noise.