Ep 134; Book Recommending & Uncomfortable Reading

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers, this week Simon and Thomas answer a question from a listener on book recommendations and book recommending and Simon brings up the subject of the power of uncomfortable reading.

Book Recommending and Recommendations () In the first part of the show Simon and Thomas have a question from Uncle who wants their honest opinions on how they react to book recommendations and if they recommend books in the real world. Thomas and Simon discuss the pros and perils of both giving and getting book recommendations and have a slightly awkward conversation about which books they have read recommended by the other.

Uncomfortable & Confronting Reading () In the second part of the show Simon brings up the subject of uncomfortable reading which was brought to his attention recently when he was discussing (no, not Rebecca, his other favourite book) A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara which is a book that some people feel is too difficult, upsetting or uncomfortable to read. This makes Simon quite cross so he vents about that and also the importance of an uncomfortable or confronting reading now and again, and Thomas joins in.

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with more book based banter… Next week Simon returns with You Wrote The Book where his special guest is Carys Davies who has written his favourite short story collection ever The Redemption of Galen Pike. If you missed it last week it was with none other than the aforementioned Hanya Yanagihara.

1 thought on “Ep 134; Book Recommending & Uncomfortable Reading

  1. As always I enjoyed the book banter at the top of this episode. I look to you both for reliable book recommendations. You may be pleased to know that I have just finished “Rebecca” and, just this morning, have started “The Professor’s House”. Thank you both.

    Now, if I may chime in on this week’s topic. Having just turned 60 and lived through some truly terrible events (the loss of a child to heroin overdose, witnessing first-hand the carnage on 9/11, the suicide of a good friend, the list goes on), first and foremost, I read to escape the harsh brutalities of life. As a consequence I am drawn to literary fiction. And, while that encompasses a broad range of potential subject matter, I am quite content to avoid the harsher edges of that spectrum. I have no issue with edgier material but I don’t need to be shocked and awed by humankind’s innate penchant for extreme brutality. And I do get that strength can be gained and life affirmed by experiencing a character who overcomes terrible obstacles. However, based on what I’ve read and heard I will not be reading “A Little Life”. Just one reader’s opinion…cheers to you both.