Ep 131; Go Set A Headline & Ten Classic Books You May Not Have Read But Should

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers, Thomas is in a rage about all the spoiling headlines around Go Set A Watchman, which Simon has decided he won’t be reading, and Simon and Thomas bring you ten classic books that may have passed you by.

Catching Up () Simon and Thomas have a quick catch up about finishing unfinished books and also the fact there are two shows today. Lucky you.

Go Set A Headline () In the first part of the show proper Thomas is in a fury about the fact that the headlines recently around Go Set A Watchman’s release seem to be intent on spoiling it. Simon also announces why, after loving the first chapter, he has now decided that he won’t be reading the book at all… probably ever!

20150326140533!US_cover_of_Go_Set_a_Watchman

Ten Classics That You May Have Missed () In the second part of the show (which Simon has jokingly called ‘the books you should read instead of Go Set A Watchman’ – he’s a naughty sausage isn’t he) Thomas and Simon share five books they think you should read if you have missed.

Simon’s are…

Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
Henrietta’s War by Joyce Dennys
East Lynne by Ellen Wood
Mariana by Monica Dickens
Why Didn’t They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie

Thomas’ are…

Birds of America by Mary McCarthy
Martin Eden by Jack London
A Meeting By The River by Christopher Isherwood
As For Me And My House by Sinclair Ross
The Magnificent Spinster by May Sarton

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with more book based banter and some exciting news… Next week Simon returns with You Wrote The Book where his special guest is Emily St John Mandel.

7 thoughts on “Ep 131; Go Set A Headline & Ten Classic Books You May Not Have Read But Should

  1. Pingback: Why I Won’t Be Reading Go Set A Watchman… | Savidge Reads

  2. Love the podcast – but am I the only person in the world who doesn’t mind spoilers? After all, when I re-read old favourites I know what’s coming, and I still love them. And there are lots of books which are so well known that even on a first read I’ve got a fair idea of plot and characters, and I really don’t mind that. The more I know about a book, the easier it is to decide if I want to read it.

    • They don’t entirely kill a book for me, but in most cases I would like to find out things for myself. And in this case it felt like the media was trying to warn us off of reading it altogether.

  3. Pingback: Forget the hype, read the book – hogglestock

  4. Pingback: Podcasts of the Week: Ep. 7 and 8: You Downloaded How Much Data?! | melissa firman

  5. I just finished listening to the first part of this episode and would highly recommend Adam Gopnik’s thoughtful review of GSAW in this week’s issue of The New Yorker (July 27). Warning: it contains spoilers.

    What I think the article does brilliantly is to provide readers with a nuanced explanation of the views of the Southern Agrarian movement (think Allen Tate and Robert Penn Warren) without serving as an apologist for those views. Speaking in generalities as much as possible to prevent spoilers here, Gopnik was able to make me understand WHY it would not necessarily be inconsistent for a character to behave the way he does in TKAM and also behave the way he does in GSAW, even though the Southern Agrarian ideology is clearly problematic in many ways.

    Gopnik doesn’t apologize for the SA movement or for other flaws that he sees in the book, including raising issues of provenance. And if someone prefers to remember solely the world of TKAM – well, I understand that too (Simon, I also read and worshipped Rebecca and then had my world turned upside down by Mrs. De Winter).

    But I think Gopnik’s article is, by far, the most insightful piece I’ve read about GSAW and would urge anyone who is following this story and/or has read the book to consider reading it.