Ep 104; How Do We Discuss Books ‘Properly’? & Reading Horizons

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers. This fortnight Simon and Thomas are back just the two of them to discuss discussing books ‘properly’ and to tell you what they have been reading, are reading and what they may very well be reading next…

The Readers

Catching Up () As it has been a while since Simon and Thomas recorded they thought they would have a good old catch up. Thomas tells us a little bit about his break in Pennsylvania and Simon demands to know, well Gav asked last week, of any books based there. They also discuss Thomas’ new shelves, Simon discovering an author he likes who he had told himself he didn’t and various other bits and bobs.

Discussing Books ‘Properly’ () One of the listeners, and Simon’s favourite person he has never met (apart from Thomas of course), Sarah wanted to know how she and her friend should go about discussing books better. Thomas decides to stay out of this one a little, so Simon starts of explaining how he goes about reviews and prepping for podcasts with authors, then has a rant about his book group, and then realises that there is no right answer to this one… well not really. What do you all think?

seating

Discussing Books ‘Properly’ () The return of the occasional series of book discussions where our hosts tell you about the books they have read, are reading and what they are going to be reading next.

Thomas has read: Treasure Island!!! by Sarah Levine
One of his current reads is: The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith
His next summer read will be: The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro

Simon has read and been blown away by: A Month in the Country by J.L. Carr
He is currently reading and loving: With a Zero at Its Heart by Charles Lambert
His next escapist read will be: Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Other Books Mentioned in this Episode (In Order) Levels of Life, A Sense of An Ending, Arthur & George, The History of the World in 10.5 Chapters – all by Julian Barnes; The Night Guest – Fiona MacFarlane; The Fifth Child, The Grass is Singing – both by Doris Lessing; The Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad; The Year of Reading Dangerously – Andy Miller; Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell; The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt; Nights at the Circus – Angela Carter & Americanah – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with more book based banter. Before then Simon will be back next Tuesday with You Wrote The Book! Until next time thanks again for listening…

2 thoughts on “Ep 104; How Do We Discuss Books ‘Properly’? & Reading Horizons

  1. I find that I have a similar issue to Sarah in that it’s not always easy to discuss a book beyond “It was good/bad” with another person. Even though I’m a reviewer and blogger, when it comes to verbally communicating about a book, I find I clam up. I think for me it’s mainly because when I write a review or just discuss a book on the blog general, I can take the time to formulate what I want to say and recall things about the book. When it’s face-to-face, there’s not much room to delay. I’d like to change that though, I just need to find more bookish friends in real life.

    One more comment on the episode: I’m starting to wonder if there are carpenters who specialize in creating custom bookshelves and libraries. Maybe there’s a group of people out there who are great at working with the “weird” book lovers who need specific shelves made for specific types of books. I know if I ever build a library for my house, I’d have to have it made similar to how Thomas is with his. If this isn’t a specialized section of carpentry, it should be.

  2. I could use some more bookish friends in real life as well.

    I will say there are very skilled carpenters out there who can do precise work to your specification, they just look at you kind of funny at first thinking you are making a mistake.