Ep 102; Educating Readers

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers. This fortnight Simon and Thomas are joined by Thomas’ friend Ron who teaches English in a school in Europe to discuss reading in schools and educating younger readers…

Educating Readers () In a special episode of The Readers this fortnight Thomas and Simon are joined by Ron, who teaches English Literature at an English school in Europe to discuss the teaching of reading and educating readers. The three have a big chat about which books they read at school and how they got on with them, the latest changes to the UK syllabus which has caused quite a stir, how Ron works to get younger people engaged with books and which ones he chooses and which books they would make all young people read…

Books Mentioned in this Episode:

Skellig – David Almond, The History Boys – Alan Bennett, Noughts and Crosses – Malorie Blackman, Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte, The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins, Harriet The Spy – Louise Fitzhugh, A Room With A View – E.M. Forster, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time – Mark Haddon, Lord of the Flies – William Golding, To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee, The Life of Pi – Yann Martell, My Cousin Rachel – Daphne Du Maurier, Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier, Animal Farm – George Orwell, The God of Small Things – Arundhati Roy, As For Me and My House – Sinclair Ross, The Catcher in the Rye – J.D Salinger, Measure for Measure – William Shakespeare, Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck, Ethan Frome – Edith Wharton and everything by Anthony Horrowitz and Jacqueline Wilson

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with more book based banter. Before then Simon will be back next Tuesday with You Wrote The Book! Until next time thanks again for listening…

You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here

3 thoughts on “Ep 102; Educating Readers

  1. I had a similar experience with Lord of the Flies as Simon did with A Room with a View (I reread the book about 10 years later and still strongly disliked the book).

  2. Simon, I just had to respond to what you said about LGBT books for teens. It may be different in the UK, but here in the US there have recently been a TON of YA books with LGBT characters. Some of the really good ones that come to mind are Ask the Passengers by A.S. King, The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily Danforth, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz, and Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kristin Cronn-Mills. I haven’t read much by David Levithan but his books are usually LGBT-themed, such as his most current book, Two Boys Kissing.

  3. Pingback: Encouraging Young Writers… | Savidge Reads