Ep 76; Iain Banks, Should We Be More Lenient With Debuts & Signed Books

This week on the Readers we are slightly more UK wide than normal as Simon joins Gavin on the phone from the depths of Derbyshire, so bear with the quality on occasion – we are sorry but we wanted to make sure you got a show this week. The topics for discussion this week are leniency with debut authors (after Simon and Gavin had a small tete a tete on the Tarquin Hall podcast last Friday) and also Gavin brings up the subject of personally signed books. They also pay a small (very Readers-like) tribute to Iain Banks.

Iain Banks () In the first ‘catch up’ part of the show Simon and Gavin thought it would be nice to pay tribute to Iain Banks, who both Simon and Gavin are fans of and who sadly passed away the week before last. They discuss the legacy he leaves behind, why they have loved his work and also how he is inspiring them both to read out of their comfort zone.

Iain Banks 1954 – 2013

Should We Be More Lenient With Debut Novels? () If you listened to the latest Readers Book Club last Friday then you would have heard things get a little heated between our hosts in the third section of that show. Gavin felt Simon should be a little more lenient with a debut author and Simon didn’t see why he should. So to cut a row on that episode they decided to have it this week and, rather than arguing, they discuss if we should be more lenient with debuts and look over their faults more fairly or if we should judge them like any other book. Gavin thinks the former, Simon thinks the latter, whose side are you on?

Simon's very special copy of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's 'The Prisoner of Heaven'.

Simon’s very special copy of Carlos Ruiz Zafon’s ‘The Prisoner of Heaven’.

Signed Books () Gavin went to see Neil Gaiman this week just passed and the venue went from being a book shop to a 2,500 sold out venue. This of course meant that the signing system changed and so if people were in a rush they could simply get a pre-signed one. Gavin had to do this and was a little sad as he would have liked the time to chat, even for 10 seconds to Neil and also get his book personalised. Yet when he mentioned this on Twitter some people thought he was being a snob, but why? Gavin and Simon discuss why they love getting books signed personally, even when they havent been there! They discuss the times when not meeting the author would be fine and so a generic one would do. But wouldn’t everyone like a personally signed book for their own libraries if they could? What are your thoughts on signed books?

Next Time on the Readers () The Readers will be back in two weeks with more book based banter. If there is anything you would like them to discuss email bookbasedbanter@gmail.com Simon will be back next Tuesday with You Wrote The Book and is joined by the wonderful Evie Wyld (who is also his mate so expect a good interview) and don’t forget the next Readers Book Club title is ‘Snake Ropes’ by Jess Richards which will go live on July 12th. Until next time…

3 thoughts on “Ep 76; Iain Banks, Should We Be More Lenient With Debuts & Signed Books

  1. Pingback: Q. What is a signature worth? | Gav Reads

  2. I went to a Phil Rickman signing a couple of years ago, and I don’t think the bookshop owners knew how popular he was because they didn’t order enough books. I had to ask him to sign a sheet of paper which I then stuck into my copy of the book when they ordered it and sent it to me. It just didn’t feel the same at all!!

  3. I love signed books and will buy pre-signed copies if I can find them as well as getting them signed in person, or even write to authors and ask them to sign a provided book plate that I can stick in a book (if the author returns it – some don’t).

    The person above mentions Phil Rickman. He’s not only the writer of very enjoyable books – I found him to be very approachable when I wrote to him via his (then) publisher.