Ep 73; A Book A Year and Supporting Your Favourite Authors

And after what seems like ages, and yet oddly also seems to have flown by, The Readers are back in their new fortnightly appearances. Have you missed us? In this episode Gavin and Simon have a big old catch up after a few weeks of not speaking books, though they have been in touch about lots of other things, as well as looking at how we can support our favourite authors (as well as simply reading their books) and the whole ‘one book a year’ deal which some authors have, is it a good thing or a bad one?

Catching Up () So what have Gavin and Simon been up to in the last few weeks. Well Simon has been working on the Liverpool Literature Festival and so had been in a bookish heaven. Gavin has been poorly again. They also have a chat about some bits of bookish news like the Arthur C Clarke Award winner.

Supporting Your Favourite Authors () When Gavin text Simon earlier in the week and said ‘let’s talk about supporting your favourite authors’ Simon was slightly bemused and responded with the simplistic ‘you buy or read their books you wally’, he couldn’t really see there was much to discuss. Well, as is sometimes (only sometimes though) the case when it came to it there was actually quite a lot to discuss. Does following them on Twitter and Facebook count to supporting them? What about reviews on Amazon and GoodReads? Or going to events and book signings? Gavin and Simon have a good old chat about it, but what do you think?

Agatha could write a book a year…

A Book A Year () Simon was at an event the other night when one of the authors he was hosting told him how she would like to be writing two books a year. Simon’s face nearly fell off with shock. How could this be possible? Then it made him think, actually a lot of his favourite series, mainly crime, come out once a year, every year. So he started thinking about it and talking with people one of whom said ‘well why would you read an author who writes a book a year, clearly they can’t be very good or they wouldn’t be so easy to write’. Whilst not agreeing this made Simon think all the more and so he brought it up with Gavin. They discuss the authors who write a book, or two or three, a year and if those books are good or not? Why it seems its more crime than any other genre that does this? Plus much more… What are your thoughts?

Next time on The Readers () Simon and Gavin will be back in two weeks with more book based banter proper. However they will be back on Friday for the latest in The Readers Book Club with Catherynne M Valente, plus Simon is back next Tuesday on You Wrote The Book with the lovely Damian Barr.

3 thoughts on “Ep 73; A Book A Year and Supporting Your Favourite Authors

  1. Hey guys– Love the podcast. I was thinking about how I support authors I like– I would think that a lot of authors like to see the heading before their name as being a bestselling author and a lot of those bestselling monikers come from sales in the opening week- so I put the release dates on my calendar and make sure to buy the new books the day they come out, then I also make sure to post my reviews on goodreads which links to my facebook. I give both good and bad reviews by the way– but to the good ones, I make sure to make it known how excited I am to read the book and then how much I enjoyed it. I also follow on twitter and facebook, etc.

    As for the authors who write a book a year, I have mixed feelings. For some, I am really disapointed when the books come out too often and they are only 300 pages or less and feel somewhat flimsy. Robert Crais has done this to me recently. Whereas an author like Michael Connelly, my all time favorite, he consistently puts out complex and well-thought out mysteries which cannot come quickly enough for my taste because of how rapidly I read them.

    Love the banter– keep it up. Best– Rob

  2. My agent suggested that I write 2 books a year, and if she didn’t like them she would bin them and I could start again. I binned her, gave her 3 months to move out of my career. It is more difficult to get a publisher without an agent but it works out eventually.

  3. Pingback: Supporting Your Favourite Authors

Leave a Reply to Rob Cancel reply