The Readers Summer Book Club; Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

In the third instalment of The Readers Summer Book Club we discuss our only non-fiction title ‘Packing for Mars’ by Mary Roach. If you haven’t read the book then do not despair as this is a book full of fascinating and funny true tales of space so we can’t do spoilers. We catch up with Mary Roach, a listener leaves a voicemail, another listener joins The Readers for some discussion and Simon and Gavin give their thoughts on the book too.

An Interview with the Author () This week Gavin and Simon are joined by the very lovely (and very, very funny) Mary Roach to discuss her latest non-fiction book ‘Packing for Mars’. They ask her why she decided to write about space as a subject, what research she had to do and just how on earth she finds the courage to ask the questions we would love to but might not dare.

Simon & Gavin’s Thoughts () The two co-hosts discuss how they got on with ‘Packing for Mars’, without giving too much away they are feeling quite smug about their choices at the moment. You will be able to see Simon’s thoughts in more detail on his blog here and Gavin’s on his here later today.

A Listeners Thoughts () One of The Readers listeners Joanna couldn’t join us for the discussion (as Simon has been ill and had to reschedule everything) so instead she leaves us some of her thoughts on the book. Unfortunately due to a Skype technical error we only have the first minute.

The Readers Panel Discusses… () Simon and Gavin are joined by Elizabeth, who while they record they discover lives just down the road from NASA in Houston, to discuss the book a little more and give a new perspective on it from across the ocean.

Next week on The Readers Summer Book Club () We have the fourth book in The Readers Summer Book Club, ‘Bleakly Hall’ by Elaine Di Rollo. Gavin and Simon will be joined by the author and some new guests for some more book based banter. We will speak to you then.

2 thoughts on “The Readers Summer Book Club; Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

  1. I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I NEVER would have read this on my own, although I read about half fiction, half non-fiction (never science). I found the information fascinating and her style very relaxed, just like her interview. I gave it to my husband to read and although he finished it, I don’t think he enjoyed it as much as I did. He would be the type to read the serious “Apollo 13 disaster” books, or “a history of the race for space” kind of book which I would have NO interest in. I am always interested in the way people live especially under abnormal circumstances, and this was certainly THAT kind of book. I really have no interest in space exploration normally. By the way, I am an American who had never heard of the author before.

  2. Pingback: Packing for Mars – Mary Roach | Savidge Reads