The Readers Episode 34; Out of Print Books & Things We Think We Don’t Like in Books

This week, in the last show before The Readers Summer Book Club starts next week, Gavin and Simon have an hour jam packed with bookish banter as they discuss; out of print books, books with subjects they think they don’t like and also a final ‘what they have read, are reading and want to read next’ until after the summer.

Out of Print Books () When Gavin and Simon both got an email from Hesperus Press informing them of a new competition to uncover an out of print book and get it back in print they wanted to share it with all of you (more details here). They also thought it was a really good time to discuss out of print books and so this week they have. Why should some out of print books come back and why should some definitely not? Why do people always assume that out of print books are older books? Which books would they like to see come back?

Things We Think We Don’t Like in Books () This is a subject Simon in particular has been wanting to talk about for quite a while. Which subjects in books do you just not like… and why? In the second segment of the show this week Simon and Gavin tell you their prose prejudices and find out they have some in common but also Gavin is shocked at some of Simon’s choices.

What We’ve Read, Are Reading & Want To Read Next () It hasn’t been long since Simon and Gavin did the three books on their reading periphery. However as normal service is on hold until after The Readers Summer Book Club they decided to do another before it has a hiatus for 9 weeks. So…

Gavin has read another by one of his favourite authors: Orbus by Neil Asher
He is reading, but being very secretive about: Railsea by China Mieville
Over the summer he will be reading some YA in the form of: A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix

Simon has read and adored: It’s A Dons Life by Mary Beard
He is rather shameful to admit he is reading: The Archers: Family Ties by Joanna Toye
Over the summer as he travels the UK himself he will be reading: Notes on a Small Island by Bill Bryson

Next week on The Readers () The Summer Book Club starts with Glen Duncan’s ‘The Last Werewolf’, Simon feels he should apologise for all the rudery in it.

2 thoughts on “The Readers Episode 34; Out of Print Books & Things We Think We Don’t Like in Books

  1. As always I am about two months behind listening to the podcast. Gav: you don’t really think Tolkien invented the quest story, do you? Homer ring any bells? I tease. Sorry.

    Simon: I love that you’re reading an Archers tie-in. That’s amazing. I went through a phase of buying TV tie-in books when I was young. I had Gruey, Rent-a-Ghost, SuperGran…I forget what else, but I’m sure there were several.

  2. For Simon – a really good book set on a boat – Kage Baker’s The Bird of the River (2010). Summary via Google Books: “In this new story set in the world of The Anvil of the World and The House of the Stag, two teenagers join the crew of a huge river barge after their addict mother is drowned. The girl and her half-breed younger brother try to make the barge their new home. As the great boat proceeds up the long river, we see a panorama of cities and cultures, and begin to perceive patterns in the pirate attacks that happen so frequently in the river cities. Eliss, the girl, becomes a sharp-eyed spotter of obstacles in the river for the barge, and more than that, one who perceives deeply.”

    It’s WONDERFUL.