The Readers Episode 28; The Readers Summer Book Club Titles & Should We Only Read Amazing Books?

It’s the big reveal this week of the eight titles for The Readers Summer Book Club which Gavin and Simon are really excited about, and we mean REALLY excited about. Gavin and Simon also debate the question ‘should we only read amazing books?’

The Readers Summer Book Club Eight Titles (00.48) They are here; the eight books which we hope you will be joining in reading with us, sending your thoughts and even joining us on Skype to discuss over the summer. The way it will work is that Simon and Gavin will interview the authors then they will be joined by three guests (some of whom could be you) for shows from mid-May to mid-July. Here are the titles in order we will be reading them (dates to follow);

Pure by Andrew Miller
The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan
Packing For Mars by Mary Roach
Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton
Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord
Bleakly Hall by Elaine di Rollo
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan

If you would like to be a part of these special shows then you can email us via bookbasedbanter@gmail.com We will be announcing the dates of these shows in the next few episodes.

Should We Only Read Amazing Books? (29.29) Book clubs always bring up titles which we might not always read. You don’t know if they will be amazing or not… which begs the question ‘should we only be reading amazing books?’ Do we need to read the books that we don’t love so much to gage why we love the ones we do? Should our favourite authors be those who only write amazing books, or can they have a duff book every so often? Simon and Gavin discuss this and a fight, followed by giggles, almost ensues.

Next week on The Readers more book based banter, we will speak to you then.

15 thoughts on “The Readers Episode 28; The Readers Summer Book Club Titles & Should We Only Read Amazing Books?

  1. Pingback: The Readers Summer Book Club «

    • Oh thats good news about the Bolton Miles. Would you like to come on the show for that one? Let us know.

  2. Great list! I’m glad I’ve only read one of the titles, Ready Player One, and that you have a couple of books that were already on my TBR list.

  3. I’ve only read The Last Werewolf, which was very different but I really enjoyed it. I read that Glen Duncan had an agenda to write a counter-novel to the post-Twilight vampire/werewolf craze. I can’t wait to hear your interview with him. I’ve also added Pure, Ready Player One, Bleakly Hall, and Now You See Me to my wish list.

    Also I love your podcast – you guys have such great chemistry and you both crack me up. I’ve been listening since early on thanks to Simon (Stuck in a Book) who tweeted about your then-new podcast venture. Best wishes!

    • I am going to be asking Glen about that very thing Lindsey and now I can say that it was you asking it hahaha. Glad you have added the other titles to your reading piles over the summer.

  4. Pingback: A Self-Made Summer Reading List | Alex In Leeds

  5. “Pure” is not available from Amazon in the US as paperback or Kindle (sorry Simon!) until the end of May. Is that going to be your first book?

    • It is now the last book, we spotted that, thanks for letting us know though and hopefully you can get a copy and join in.

  6. Pingback: The Readers Summer Book Club 2012 | Savidge Reads

  7. Pingback: The Readers Summer Book Club 2012 | jottingswithjasmine

  8. Pingback: The Box Of (Might-Otherwise-Never-Have-Been-Discovered-By-Me) Blogging Delights!! « theonlywayisreading

Leave a Reply to Milo Rambles Cancel reply