The Readers – Episode Three

We are so sorry that this has come out so late; we sailed through the ‘difficult second episode’ and came a cropper with the third episode. Not because we had nothing to say, but in fact because we simply went off on too many tangents and ended up with over three hours of bookish nonsense which has taken some serious editing (by Gav, who Simon thinks is a legend even more than he did before). However we are here and it just means you have less time to wait for next week’s ‘Halloween spooky special’ episode. So let’s get on with it…

Welcome and Simon has an apology… We have the latest Bookish News (00.59) we discuss the Man Booker Winner (did anyone else notice it was the Man Booker last week) ‘A Sense of an Ending’ by Julian Barnes. We also discuss Terry Pratchett’s sales of ‘Snuff’ which leads us onto…

Meeting Authors (04.27) should people go and meet their favourite authors? Can meeting an author put your off for life? Which authors you wouldn’t normally read and then see read and want to tread everything? Gav and Simon discuss and would love to hear your experiences, so feel free to comment below.

Ian Rankin Interviewed (09:04) Simon catches up with Ian Rankin to discuss the future of books, his latest novel ‘The Impossible Dead’, the return of Rebus and how Ian ended up a suspect in a real life murder.

Short Stories (24:26) Gavin and Simon discuss short stories after Simon couldn’t shut up (though not on his blog yet)  about ‘The Woman Who Gave Birth To Rabbits’ by Emma Donoghue and how he has started to read short stories regularly. They discuss their favourites (Sherlock Holmes anyone?), how you can try out new authors but its is not just Simon and Gavin who have recommendations. We have Sam Jordison from The Guardian (38:06) discussing Daphne Du Maurier, you all tweeted (40:47) and the wonderful author Patricia Duncker gave us her Top 5 Short Stories (43:40) which we were thrilled with.

What have we been reading and what are we excited about? (45:16) We catch up with each other about what we have been reading, what we are reading next and what we are simply desperate to get our prose loving paws on.

What have you been reading and what should we be reading next? Oh, and please leave any comments on the show in below, we would love your constructive feedback.

You can subcribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.

10 thoughts on “The Readers – Episode Three

  1. Pingback: The Readers, The ‘Difficult’ Second Podcast Was Easy, The Third Not So… |

  2. Loved the Podcast and thanks for the interview with Ian Rankin. I have really enjoyed meeting him and my other favorite authors and hearing about how they approach their writing and the person behind the book. I appreciate the time they take to connect with their readers.

    • I thought Ian was a really, really nice man. I was hoping he wouldnt be ego fuelled as he never sounds it on interviews, but people can act, he is genuinely a really nice guy and what a great guest to have on the podcast.

  3. I too am excited about the ‘new’ Holmes book that is about to be released. Incidentally, I don’t think that the deer stalker hat you mentioned featured in Conan Doyle’s books. I have feeling this was introduced in the Basil Rathbone films and caught on. I could be wrong – often I am.

    I liked the Ian Rankin interview (sponsored by IKEA?).

    • Hahahaha we should have got it sponsored by Ikea. We all have a billy bookcase or two dont we?

      I will have to see what I can find out about the deer stalker. I started reading the adventures of Sherlock Holmes the other week and stopped, will pick them up again and see if I spot a deerstalker. Hope you liked the Sherlock episode?

  4. Meeting authors is terrifying. Meeting anyone I admire is terrifying really, if only for the fact that I don’t want to seem like an idiot in front of someone whose work I love. So far the authors I’ve met so far are absolutely lovely, for example Jonathan Stroud who I met at the May London Expo this year; he just seemed thrilled to be at the event and was really interested in the fans who came up to get things signed.

    Regarding the new Holmes book, I have real doubts. And the death of Holmes that’s written on the back? My gut feeling is that it’ll be a red herring of some kind (even Conan Doyle didn’t manage to kill off Holmes, so I find it doubtful that the Doyle estate will allow Anthony Horowitz that somewhat dubious honour).

    • The new Holmes is superb Hayley, I didn’t think I would be convinced but I was.

      I love meeting authors, with Bookmarked etc I have been doing it a lot this year and they have always been lovely and had lots and lots of time for everyone. It is always good when authors are nice, it taints a book if they aren’t.

  5. Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the podcasts. I’ve really been enjoying them. I took the first too on my iPod to Suffolk the week before last and have just been catching up with the third one today. I’m home in bed with a nasty head cold and its perked me up. As coincidence would have it I’m just half way through The Complaints at the moment, so hearing Ian Rankin talk about it was really interesting. 🙂

    I wonder, as two men who love books, what do you think about all the gender stereotypes surrounding reading? Why do you think that studies consistently show that women read more than men? It puzzles me.

    • I haven’t read any of this new series Victoria, but I have been hearing a lot about these and I do like Ian Rankin, I had a real Rebus phase a few years ago. Maybe I shouldnt admit that to everyone as I interviewed him about said book. Oops.

      Oooh the gender divide. Maybe me an Gav should cover that on a future show?