The Readers – Episode One

Firstly ‘hello world’, after a few weeks of planning, plotting and secrecy ‘The Readers’ are here and we can reveal we are Gavin Pugh, of Gav Reads, and Simon Savidge, of Savidge Reads. We are both very excited, and very nervous, about our new venture but we hope people will embrace it and also excuse any initial mistakes, ramblings, silences, giggles or nervous pauses when you listen back to it (as we go on we get more into a flow, we are not professionals remember just passionate about books) so hopefully all the feedback we have asked for will be constructive.

So what have we for you in Episode One…

What is news in the book world?  (01.19) Gav and Simon discuss Gollancz 50th Birthday and the New SFF Gateway which is looking at unleashing over 3,000 SFF e-books (and many more in the future). Gav gets very excited about this whilst Simon ponders the idea and wonders if it will bring any new fans, or ‘SFF timid’ readers like himself, to the genre and these soon to be released titles. Would it you? We also discuss the covers…

Grabbing, gorgeous or ghastly?

There is also Man Booker musings before the short list is announced (we are hoping this podcast goes up in time) this Tuesday evening, erm why haven’t we been invited?

We meet Carol Birch. (11.02) Speaking of shortlisted Man Booker novels, we have been very lucky as Simon grabbed Carol Birch for a grilling before the announcement to discuss ‘Jamrach’s Menagerie’ (which could be the Man Booker Winner 2011) that listing, the Richard and Judy Book Club and what she has coming for her readers next…

We discuss Book Awards. (29.34) What is all the furore and fuss about book awards? Are they good for the industry or do they breed competition and genre divides, or are we the readers the ones who do that? We would love your thoughts.

Gav is in a reading funk. (42.06) Book Dr Savidge tries to prescribe some advice on how to get out of it and get Gav turning those pages again, we also ask for your advice.

In a bid to recommend some possibilities to Gav, Simon suggests his ‘Top Five Favourite Reads’ (the first of a series on ‘The Readers’). Oh, and we let you know what’scoming up in next weeks episode.

You can subcribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.

7 thoughts on “The Readers – Episode One

  1. I am so excited that you have started this podcast! Have been following SImon’s blog for quite some time and am now a new follower of Gavin’s blog. Looking forward to some great conversations about books! Thanks for doing this and good luck!!

    • Thanks Melanie, thats really lovely to hear. We hope you liked it? We are recording Episode Two tonight so let us know if there is anything you would like more or less of?
      S&G

  2. Well done gents on a promising first episode. I’ve followed a couple of “amateur” history podcasts for the past year and I have definitely noticed that, however good they were to start with, their creators definitely get better at it over time. On current evidence you will not need Malcom Gladwell’s fabled 10,000 hours of practice in order to hit the spot.

    The format you have chosen – book news, author interview, book chat and a top five – is very similar to one used on a commercial digital radio station a few years back. That show was the work of a long established production company that still makes programmes for the BBC. Whilst their budget was probably very small, you still managed to sound as good. There was a bit of sea-sickness inducing echo to the sound quality at first, but it did not persist. In any case, it might help you to attain the cult status of the shipping forecast. (Note to readers abroad: The Shipping Forecast is a much-loved BBC radio broadcast that continues to draw large audiences, even in inland counties and suburban homes, despite the fact that nearly all those at sea now use alternative means of obtaining maritime weather forecasts.)

    With regard to your Booker prize discussion, have you seen that a rival prize is being founded by a group who believe that, to paraphrase, the Booker has now become too accessible? Broadly speaking I think I would come down on the side of this year’s much maligned judging panel and applaud them for choosing the books that, collectively, they think merit public attention. Sour-faced, possibly self-interested elitists, concerned that their particular brand of pretentious navel-gazing novel is being ignored, need to wake up and look around them. How dare they attack the judges for highlighting books people might actually at enjoy during these incredibly bleak days through which we are living. I dislike philistine utilitarianism, but enjoyable books might actually be more use in raising the spirits of the millions of unemployed people in Britain right now – assuming their local library has not been shut down and they can actually get a copy. Rant over. I’ll shut up now!

    • Thanks very much David. Sorry that we have been so tardy with the replies. Glad you enjoyed the first one, and hope that you have carried on enjoying them since. We chop and change the show quite a lot so hope that you have been enjoying all the different formats.

      You seem to be on the same wavelength as us with this years Man Booker furore. All very dramatic.

      • No worries, I know you have a lot to contend with right now, Simon, and no doubt Gav is busy too. I’d actually forgotten that I got a bit carried away here. I may not have a “TBR” pile, but I do have a quite a podcast backlog, so I think I missed episodes 4 to 6 but otherwise I’m still with you. Not only is there so much good stuff out there to read, there’s lots of good stuff to listen to as well.