Monthly Archives: September 2013

YWTB! Niven Govinden

Hello and welcome back to You Wrote The Book, a book based podcast hosted by Simon Savidge. Each fortnight over the coming months he will be joined by a special guest author to discuss their life as a writer and as a reader, from the current novel they have published to the first book they read and everything in between.

The guest for this episode is Niven Govinden author of We Are The New Romantics, Graffiti My Soul and his latest novel Black Bread White Beer which was longlisted for the DSC South Asian Prize and was recently chosen as part of one of Fiction Uncovered. His short stories have been published by Five Dials, Time Out, First City, Teller, Pen Pusher, Shortfire Press and on BBC Radio 3. Speaking of radio Niven was also one of the regular guest reviewers on Simon Mayo’s Radio 5 book club showing he is as much a reader as a writer which is discussed in the show.

Coming up over the next few episodes will be authors including Charlotte Mendelson and Susan Hill. If you have any questions for them, would like to suggest authors you think I should be getting on the show, or simply want to have a natter about books, you can email youwrotethebook@gmail.com or find us on twitter @youwrotethebook.

If you want to hear Simon talking more books do join him every other week with Thomas Otto on The Readers Podcast, you can also find him chatting and reviewing book on his blog Savidge Reads. Until next time thank you for listening… And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes where you can find previous episodes with Evie Wyld, Keith Ridgway, Niccolo Ammaniti, John Boyne, Hannah Kent, Taiye Selasi, Joanne Harris, Patrick Ness, Damian Barr, Maggie O’Farrell and many more.

YWTB! Hannah Kent

Hello and welcome back to You Wrote The Book, a book based podcast hosted by Simon Savidge. Each fortnight over the coming months he will be joined by a special guest author to discuss their life as a writer and as a reader, from the current novel they have published to the first book they read and everything in between.

The guest for this episode is author Hannah Kent whose debut novel ‘Burial Rites’ started to reach great acclaim and gain some serious buzz before it had even come out in the UK and chosen as one of the Waterstones 11 for 2013. Set in Iceland in the 1820’s Hannah creates a gripping and atmospheric tale based  around the case of Agnes Magnussdottir, who was the last woman to be executed in the country. It has recently also been announced as one of the longlist selection for The Guardian First Book Award. Simon had the chance to interview Hannah last week and ask her about how she discovered the true life case, where her love of Iceland came from and much more…

I will be back in a fortnight’s time with another guest author. If you have any authors you think I should be getting on the show, or simply want to have a natter about books, you can email youwrotethebook@gmail.com or find me on twitter @youwrotethebook.

If you want to hear Simon talking more books do join him every other week with Thomas Otto on The Readers Podcast, you can also find him chatting and reviewing book on his blog Savidge Reads. Until next time thank you for listening… And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes where you can find previous episodes with Evie Wyld, Keith Ridgway, Niccolo Ammaniti, John Boyne, Xiaolu Guo, Alan Bradley, Taiye Selasi, Joanne Harris, Patrick Ness, Damian Barr, Maggie O’Farrell and many more.