Ep 105; Man Booker 2014

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers. This fortnight Simon and Thomas discuss the recently announced Man Booker Prize Longlist aswell as read-a-longs and reading challenges…

The Man Booker Longlist 2014 () It is said to be one of the biggest prizes in the literary world and now it is open to the whole wide world, well if you can write a novel in English. Simon and Thomas have a chat about this years longlist and its relevancy. Here’s the list for you…

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour – Joshua Ferris (Viking)
The Narrow Road to the Deep North – Richard Flanagan (Chatto & Windus)
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves – Karen Joy Fowler (Serpent’s Tail)
The Blazing World – Siri Hustvedt (Sceptre)
J –  Howard Jacobson (Jonathan Cape)
The Wake – Paul Kingsnorth (Unbound)
The Bone Clocks – David Mitchell (Sceptre)
The Lives of Others – Neel Mukherjee (Chatto & Windus)
Us – David Nicholls (Hodder & Stoughton)
The Dog – Joseph O’Neill (Fourth Estate)
Orfeo – Richard Powers (Atlantic Books)
How to be Both –  Ali Smith (Hamish Hamilton)
History of the Rain – Niall Williams (Bloomsbury)

man-booker-prize-2014_0

Read-a-longs and Reading Challenges () In the second part of the show Simon and Thomas talk about the pros and cons of read-a-longs and reading challenges. Which ones have they joined, and indeed started, and how did they get on with them be it good or bad?

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with more book based banter. Before then Simon will be back next Wednesday with Kate Forsyth on You Wrote The Book! Until next time thanks again for listening…

Ep 102; Educating Readers

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers. This fortnight Simon and Thomas are joined by Thomas’ friend Ron who teaches English in a school in Europe to discuss reading in schools and educating younger readers…

Educating Readers () In a special episode of The Readers this fortnight Thomas and Simon are joined by Ron, who teaches English Literature at an English school in Europe to discuss the teaching of reading and educating readers. The three have a big chat about which books they read at school and how they got on with them, the latest changes to the UK syllabus which has caused quite a stir, how Ron works to get younger people engaged with books and which ones he chooses and which books they would make all young people read…

Books Mentioned in this Episode:

Skellig – David Almond, The History Boys – Alan Bennett, Noughts and Crosses – Malorie Blackman, Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte, The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins, Harriet The Spy – Louise Fitzhugh, A Room With A View – E.M. Forster, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time – Mark Haddon, Lord of the Flies – William Golding, To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee, The Life of Pi – Yann Martell, My Cousin Rachel – Daphne Du Maurier, Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier, Animal Farm – George Orwell, The God of Small Things – Arundhati Roy, As For Me and My House – Sinclair Ross, The Catcher in the Rye – J.D Salinger, Measure for Measure – William Shakespeare, Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck, Ethan Frome – Edith Wharton and everything by Anthony Horrowitz and Jacqueline Wilson

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with more book based banter. Before then Simon will be back next Tuesday with You Wrote The Book! Until next time thanks again for listening…

You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here

Ep 100; The Readers is 100! Ask The Readers Anything & The Readers Retrospective

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers. This fortnight Simon, Thomas AND Gavin have a special 100th episode for you with a return of ‘Ask The Readers Anything’ and also having a (possibly emotional) retrospective over the last 100 episodes!

The Readers

Catching Up () Simon grills Gavin on what he has been doing since 20 episodes when he big him a fond farewell and Thomas tells us all about his prize winning book which he has kept secret for so long!

Ask The Readers Anything () We thought as it was a special episode we should celebrate it with you lovely listeners and so we asked you to ask us anything, and you did – and some of the questions were really tough too! Simon, Thomas and Gavin try to answer them as well as they can.

onehundred

The Readers Retrospective () In the second segment of the show Thomas Simon and Gavin look back over the last one hundred episodes right from the very beginning and discuss how the Readers has grown, evolved and what the highlights have been. Simon and Gavin might possibly get a little bit emotional… possibly!

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks more book based banter. Before then Simon will be back next Tuesday with You Wrote The Book! Until next time thanks again for listening…

Ep 99; Lending or Loaning Books & Reading Outside Your Comfort Zone

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers. This fortnight Simon and Thomas discuss lending or loaning books to other people, reading outside their comfort zones and Jenn Ashworth comes up a lot!

Catching Up () Simon and Thomas have had a catch up on all the things that have been going on lately. Episode 100 is coming so they would like your thoughts on what they should do with Gavin, who is returning especially. Thomas has been sorting out Simon’s trip to America in the autumn between watching the Forsythe Saga and now wants to read it. Plus other bits and bobs.

Lending or Loaning Books () Thomas and Simon take up two subjects that you lovely listeners have sent in. The first is from Elizabeth who wants to know is Simon or Thomas lend books to other people. As it turns out the simple answer is ‘no’, however they do talk about why it isn’t that they don’t lend anything and it turns out one of them is a huge hypocrite, guess who?

BWBooks

Reading Outside Your Comfort Zone () Nicely following on from discussing how we find books under the popular radar, one of our lovely listeners Whitney wanted to know if people feel they get stuck in a comfort zone with reading or if they purposefully keep reading out of it. Simon and Thomas have a discussion about what their comfort zones are and how they try and combat them…

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with Gavin to celebrate 100 episodes of the Readers and all that book based banter. Before then Simon will be back next Tuesday with You Wrote The Book! with Emma Jane Unsworth to discuss her new novel ‘Animals.’ Until next time thanks again for listening…

Ep 98; Children’s Classics & Finding The Books That Go Under The Radar (A #ReadersRevolution)

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers. This fortnight Simon and Thomas children’s classics and reading them as an adult as well as the books which go under the radar and how we can find them, which starts Simon off on a Readers Revolution.

Catching Up () Simon and Thomas have had a catch up on all the things that have been going on lately. Thomas seems to be over his readers block and Simon tells us all about London Book Fair.

Children’s Classics () Thomas and Simon take up two subjects that you lovely listeners have sent in. The first is from Uncle who wanted to hear more on Thomas and Simon’s thoughts about reading children’s books, in particular the classics, as an adult. So what do Thomas and Simon have to say on the matter? Which children’s books and classics have they read, and re-read, plus which ones have they missed out on and wouldn’t mind reading at some point in the future? Which ones have you read and would you recommend?

classics

Fiction Uncovered; How Do We Find The Books That Go Under The Radar () One of our lovely listeners Sue wanted to know how people can find the books that go under the radar and we might love much more than all the books that are hyped. This subject is quite fortuitous as this month Simon is the guest editor of Fiction Uncovered which is an initiative looking for the books and authors that might go under the radar, which he discusses. Thomas and Simon then look at how they find the books that might go under the radar and then out of nowhere Simon starts a Readers Revolution, listen for more details…

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with more book based banter. Simon will be back next Tuesday with You Wrote The Book! Until next time thanks again for listening…

Ep 73; A Book A Year and Supporting Your Favourite Authors

And after what seems like ages, and yet oddly also seems to have flown by, The Readers are back in their new fortnightly appearances. Have you missed us? In this episode Gavin and Simon have a big old catch up after a few weeks of not speaking books, though they have been in touch about lots of other things, as well as looking at how we can support our favourite authors (as well as simply reading their books) and the whole ‘one book a year’ deal which some authors have, is it a good thing or a bad one?

Catching Up () So what have Gavin and Simon been up to in the last few weeks. Well Simon has been working on the Liverpool Literature Festival and so had been in a bookish heaven. Gavin has been poorly again. They also have a chat about some bits of bookish news like the Arthur C Clarke Award winner.

Supporting Your Favourite Authors () When Gavin text Simon earlier in the week and said ‘let’s talk about supporting your favourite authors’ Simon was slightly bemused and responded with the simplistic ‘you buy or read their books you wally’, he couldn’t really see there was much to discuss. Well, as is sometimes (only sometimes though) the case when it came to it there was actually quite a lot to discuss. Does following them on Twitter and Facebook count to supporting them? What about reviews on Amazon and GoodReads? Or going to events and book signings? Gavin and Simon have a good old chat about it, but what do you think?

Agatha could write a book a year…

A Book A Year () Simon was at an event the other night when one of the authors he was hosting told him how she would like to be writing two books a year. Simon’s face nearly fell off with shock. How could this be possible? Then it made him think, actually a lot of his favourite series, mainly crime, come out once a year, every year. So he started thinking about it and talking with people one of whom said ‘well why would you read an author who writes a book a year, clearly they can’t be very good or they wouldn’t be so easy to write’. Whilst not agreeing this made Simon think all the more and so he brought it up with Gavin. They discuss the authors who write a book, or two or three, a year and if those books are good or not? Why it seems its more crime than any other genre that does this? Plus much more… What are your thoughts?

Next time on The Readers () Simon and Gavin will be back in two weeks with more book based banter proper. However they will be back on Friday for the latest in The Readers Book Club with Catherynne M Valente, plus Simon is back next Tuesday on You Wrote The Book with the lovely Damian Barr.

Quick Update

Well Gavin has the lurgy and lost his voice. Luckily, Simon has arranged entertaining and enchanting co-hosts to stand in.

We’d like to apologise to The Kitschies Awards that we’ve not been able to bring you the review of The Panopticon before the awards. We’ll still be talking about it though as we’ve heard very good things.

We’ve also had to delay this month’s book club so we’ll be talking about My Policeman with Bethan Roberts on the 8th March.

Gavin is looking forward to being ‘the voice of The Readers‘ once again.

The Readers Episode 12; Part One – Crime in a Cold Climate and Yrsa Sigurdardottir

This week you are getting a two parter podcast. On today’s episode Gavin and Simon talk crime in a cold climate. In today’s half it’s all about Nordic crime and includes an interview with Yrsa Sigurdardottir. Tomorrow we are joined by MJ McGrath to discuss her icy crime novel and living in the arctic world.

Crime in a Cold Climate (01.27) what is it with Nordic crime and it’s worldwide success? Gavin and Simon discuss the genre of cold crime and ponder is rise from nowhere. Which of the famous authors have they read? Which ones should you be looking out for? Why is this such a phenomenon and will it last?

Yrsa Siguardardottir (30.03) Simon interviews one of his and Gavs favourite cold crime writers to discuss her series, how she has used Iceland to make a criminal atmosphere, what she thinks of other writers or the genre and how it feels to be compared to Steig Larsson

Tomorrow on the Readers (40.04) we will carry on talking all things frosty and murderous with MJ McGrath, we look at Christmas books and what we have read, are reading and want to read next.