Ep 185; Taking a Walk Through Simon’s Library

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS

In this episode Simon and Thomas talk about the things you don’t tend to talk about bookwise in proper company… does politics, sex or religion put you off reading a book?

You can also support The Readers if you feel like it via www.patreon.com/thereaders

Simon’s Unread Shelves with Thomas () Thomas has a wander with Simon through his unread books shelves, aka his library.

Books Mentioned in the Episode () The Heart of London by Monica Dickens, The Winds of Heaven by Monica Dickens, Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermen Hesse, Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin, Shirley Jackson, Roald Dahl, The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, Paradise by A L Kennedy, The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage, Stoner by John Williams, Truman Capote, The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, Elizabeth Jane Howard, Swann by Carol Shields, Radclyffe Hall, Emily St John Mandel, Viper Wine by Hermione Eyre, A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth, E F Benson, Graham Swift, Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor, The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer, The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing, Kent Haruf, E L Doctorow, All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville West, Heatwave by Penelope Lively, Madadam by Margaret Atwood, The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee, Nancy Mitford, Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels, The 7th Function of Language by Laurent Binet, The Crime Writer by Jill Dawson, Everyone is Watching by Megan Bradbury, As We Are Now by May Sarton, Hotel Dream by Edmund White, Jennifer McMahon, Flings by Justin Taylor, Marlon James, Ryan Gatiss, Exit West by Mohsin Hamid, Sylvia Brownrigg, Austerlitz by William Sebald, Kazuo Ishiguro, Emma Donoghue, Michael Chabon, Anita Brookner.

Simon and Thomas will be back in two weeks with more book based banter.

Get the RSS link for the podcast by clicking here.
You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.
You can also support The Readers if you feel like it via www.patreon.com/thereaders

One thought on “Ep 185; Taking a Walk Through Simon’s Library

  1. Which were the final five? I listened in the car so I couldn’t write them down. Love the podcast, and Simon, I’ve read a number of things you’ve recommended and have loved them all — Pachinko, The Trouble With Goats and Sheep, Exit West, and The Essex Serpent are four that come to mind. I read All Passion Spent not too long ago and loved it as well, so Thomas, there’s one you recommended, as well as Shadows on the Rock, which I read last summer and hadn’t heard of until you talked about it. Thank you both! I’m at bookconscious.wordpress.com and also Nocturnal Librarian, and I found your podcast because I used to listen to Books on the Nightstand.