Ep 170; Bookish Places and Poetry

After a small break, due to things going on with Simon, Thomas and Simon return to talk bookish places they have been and would love to go as well as their thoughts on something they have never discussed properly… poetry!

Don’t forget you can find us on TwitterGood Reads and Facebook now as well as subscribing to us on iTunes here. You can also support The Readers if you feel like it via www.patreon.com/thereaders

Catching Up () Having not caught up in a while, Simon and Thomas share their news. Thomas has been off gallivanting on another podcast, Reading Envy, which you can hear here. Simon has some very exciting news as he will be judging the Costa Book Awards 2017 which is going to take over his summer…. And his autumn.

Poetry () In the second section of the show they discuss a topic suggested by Carl Anthony Morries who wanted to know what their thoughts were on poetry, which amazingly is something that they have barely talked about before on the podcast.

Bookish Places () Listener Louise Edwards asks Simon and Thomas to discuss their favourite bookish places that they have been and some of the bookish places that they would like to go to in the future… and she doesn’t mean bookshops. Can you guess some of the places that they might wish to venture if they haven’t already?

Next time on the Readers () Simon and Thomas will be reunited in two weeks when they will be back with more book based banter in a Summery Special.

Get the RSS link for the podcast by clicking here.
You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.
You can also support The Readers if you feel like it via www.patreon.com/thereaders

One thought on “Ep 170; Bookish Places and Poetry

  1. I enjoy your podcast very much! I just listened to the one about poetry and bookish places. My comments combine both of the topics. One of my favorite poets is Carl Sandburg, 1878-1967. He won the Pulitzer Prize in History for his biography of Abraham Lincoln and later the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry for The Complete Poems of Carl Sandburg. Much of his poetry has to do with social justice, civil rights, racism, poverty….he was known as the Poet of the People because he spoke for people in our society whose voice would not have been heard otherwise. Similarities to Walt Whitman here. He lived at Connemara in Flat Rock, NC for the last 22 years of his life. The Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site owned by the National Park Service, is a magnificent bookish place to visit. It has been left just as it was when the Park Service purchased it in 1968 so it is like the Sandburgs went for a walk and invited us into their home in their absence. Truly a magical place. The Sandburgs moved 17,000 books from Michigan to Connemara and there remain 12,000 in the house collection. And then there are the 265 acres in the mountains on which the house stands with hiking trails and a goat farm. Mrs. Sandburg was internationally renowned for her goat breeding and most of the goats still on the property are descendants of her goats. Obviously I am a huge fan and I am a docent for house tours there. The house is currently in the midst of a major three year restoration project so the furnishings have been termporarily removed from the house but it remains open for tours. Google Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site for wonderful pictures and stories. Flat Rock is about 25 miles from Asheville, NC. Thomas Wolfe and O’Henry are buried in Asheville’s Riverside Cemetery and Thomas Wolfe’s mother’s boarding house is open for tours in Asheville. Perhaps you visited there when you were here in Asheville for Booktopia.
    On the opposite coast, another of my favorite bookish places connected to an amazing poet is Robinson Jeffers. His home, which he called Tor House and which he built, overlooks the Pacific Ocean south of San Francisco. Another very magical place! I could go on and on….
    Thanks again for your podcast.
    Miriam Freeman
    Asheville, NC

Leave a Reply