Ep 168; Serendipitous Reads and Book University

Simon and Thomas are back to discuss the serendipity of some reads and also Book University.

Don’t forget you can find us on TwitterGood Reads and Facebook now as well as subscribing to us on iTunes here. You can also support The Readers if you feel like it via www.patreon.com/thereaders

Serendipitous Reads () Simon and Thomas have been asked by listener Daisy Baker if they could talk about the serendipitous reads they have read recently. Thomas managed, Simon, has had to go back in time and into the potential future.

Book University () Thomas likes to play the game of ‘what if’ and so he came up with the idea of three terms at Book University. He and Simon get to choose three bookish lessons they would like to learn or subjects they would like to learn about, where they would like to learn it and who they would like to teach them. The results are surprising.

Books Discussed on the Show () Victoria 4.30 by Cecil Roberts, all the May Sarton’s, We All Begin as Strangers by Harriet Cummings, Noblesse Oblige by Nancy Mitford, Vanishing Cornwall by Daphne Du Maurier, A Farm Under A Lake by Martha Bergland, Capital by John Lancaster, A Collapse of Horses by Brian Everson, Six Stories by Matt Wesolowski, A Room With A View by E.M. Forster, Ulysses by James Joyce, The Iliad by Homer, Moby Dick by Herman Melville, all of Wilkie Collins, The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry, Spacecraft by Tom McCullough, Physical by Andrew McMillan, Rain by Melissa Harrison, Dear Mr M by Herman Koch, Foreign Soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke.
Next time on the Readers
 () Simon and Thomas will be reunited in two weeks when they will be back with more book based banter.

Get the RSS link for the podcast by clicking here.

You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.
You can also support The Readers if you feel like it via
www.patreon.com/thereaders

5 thoughts on “Ep 168; Serendipitous Reads and Book University

  1. Hi guys!

    I found your comments about book university really interesting. Especially the parts where you suggest speaking to an expert to understand what is really happening in a book.

    I am studying English Lit online while working a full time job. I have been able, to a degree, to choose what parts of English I want to study. This means as well that I do not have the same chances of having discussions with others reading the books to develop ideas. I can tell you that listening to the lecturers, I have disagreed with them on several occasions with regards to what a book “means”.

    I agree that discussing books with others is a brillant way to get a different take on how everyone experiences the book. This is why I am a huge fan of book clubs. The one I belong to is so diverse in attendees that my views on books have often been altered merely by our discussions of them.

    I think you guys should talk about your ideal book clubs! Who would you want in it? If you could choose anyone? The problem with academia with regards to books is this idea that there is a “right” way to read a book. This idea of dissecting a book; the blue curtains represent the main characters depression, it represents the nobility of the character, blah blah blah.

    Sometimes, the curtains are just blue.

  2. The first Book University course I would want to take would be a study of Douglas Adams and his influences. Although it would be taught in England, Cambridge probably, there would be the required “field” trip to Innsbruck. With Towel Day quickly approaching, it would obviously be a spring semester course culminating with the Towel Day Festivities.

Leave a Reply