Ep 158; Prizes (Do They Matter) & Summer Reading Horizons

This episode Simon and Thomas talk about book prizes and if they matter as well as talking about what they have been reading over the summer so far and what they have planned to read on their holidays.

Don’t forget you can find us on TwitterGood Reads and Facebook now as well as subscribing to us on iTunes here. logo3_728-x-90111

Prizes () Thomas and Simon have a chat about book prizes and the effect that they have on us as Readers as the Man Booker longlist has not been mentioned. Simon wondered Thomas’ thoughts as Simon himself is a co-founder of The Green Carnation Prize for Fiction and was wondering if it all really matters. They discuss it before thinking about what the criteria would be if they both started their own prizes…

 books_1448404b

Summer Reading Horizons () Simon and Thomas talk about some of the books that they have read recently over the summer and what summer reads are lying in wait…

Thomas mentions…

All Involved by Ryan Gattis, The Expatriates by Janie Y.K. Lee, The Sympathiser by Viet Thanh Nguyen, A House Unlocked by Penelope Lively, Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey, The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan, Rancid Pansies by James Hamilton Patterson.

Simon mentions…

The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra, Stan and Nan by Sarah Lippett, The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena, Foxlowe by Eleanor Wasserberg, Dinosaurs on Other Planets by Danielle Maclaughlin, Arcadia by Iain Pears, A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James, Cuckoo Calling by Robert Galbraith, The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead

Other Books Mentioned On The Readers () The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce, The House at the Edge of the World by Sophie Rochester, Grace Notes by Bernard MacLaverty, A Constellation of Vital Phenomenon by Anthony Marra, The Girls by Emma Cline, A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham.

Next time on the Readers () The Readers will be back in two weeks when they will be back with more book based banter. If you missed the latest episode of You Wrote The Book do go and listen, Simon’s is joined by Kit de Waal to discuss her incredible debut novel My Name is Leon.

Get the RSS link for the podcast by clicking here.
You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.

2 thoughts on “Ep 158; Prizes (Do They Matter) & Summer Reading Horizons

  1. Simon, a bunch of us in Litsy have been having similar feelings about The Girls. I think everyone felt pressure to like it until someone said they didn’t. I felt like the novel would have been better even telling it from a different character’s perspective but it focused so much on the boring parts and never got to the exciting bits I was promised. Grr. I stalled halfway and then pushed through, totally regretting it. I love books about cults but find I enjoy real-life memoirs far more than novelized versions, but I’m looking forward to the book you mentioned!

  2. Hooray for someone who says they didn’t appreciate The Girls that much. I’m getting tired of the hype on this one.
    Changing topics – book prizes don’t matter to me in the sense I instantly need to rush out and buy something just because it won the XX prize. But I do like to keep any eye on a few – the sadly demised Jerwood Uncovered Fiction from which I found some gems last year, The International Foreign Fiction Prize simply to get more diversity in my reading and The Booker Prize which I am hoping to complete as a project early next year…..

Leave a Reply