Ep 155; A Summer Spectacular

This episode Simon and Thomas talk all things summer. There is a summer read-a-long, discussion of summer plans and Simon and Thomas give you five books each they think would be perfect for your summers… Beware though they start with a summer storm.

Don’t forget you can find us on TwitterGood Reads and Facebook now as well as subscribing to us on iTunes here

logo3_728-x-90111

Summer Storms Catch Up () In the first part of the show before all the lovely summer sun, Thomas and Simon talk about some of the story weather kind of things that have been going on in their worlds. First up the awful news from Orlando and then the whole Brexit issue…

The Readers Summer Read () Simon and Thomas would like to thank you so much for all of the votes that you cast for what we should all read together this month. Simon and Thomas whittle the list of (over forty) books down to five books each and then do battle. Only one book will become the victor, but which one? Spoiler it is pictured below.

image2

Summer Reading Plans () Simon and Thomas talk about their reading plans over the summer. One of them has somehow made lots of plans, can you guess which host that is? What summer reading plans do you have?

image3

The Readers Recommended Summer Reads () In the final part of this summer spectacular Thomas and Simon recommend five books they each think that you should be reading this summer wherever you are spending it.

Thomas recommends…

I Am Charlotte Simmons – Tom Wolfe
Mapp & Lucia – E.F Benson
The Ripening Seed – Colette
The Inn at Lake Devine – Elinor Lipman
Main Street – Sinclair Lewis

Simon recommends…

The Year of the Runaways – Sunjeev Sahota
Up at the Villa – W. Somerset Maugham
All Involved – Ryan Gattis
Boy Erased – Garrard Conley
The Trouble with Goats and Sheep – Joanna Cannon

Books Mentioned in the Show () Cold Earth by Sarah Moss, The Turner House by Angela Floury, Euphoria by Lily King, Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Strabel, Butcher’s Crossing by John Williams, All The Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders, The Mad Woman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell, You Don’t Have To Live Like This by Benjamin Markovitz, The Sympathiser by Viet Thanh Nguyen, The Illuminations by Andrew O’Hagan, The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham, Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope, The Dinner by Herman Koch, Life Only Better by Anna Gavalda, The Girls by Emma Cline, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and those in the final topic above.

Next time on the Readers () The Readers will be back in two weeks when they will be back with more book based banter. If you missed the latest episode of You Wrote The Book do go and listen, Simon’s was joined by Charlotte Wood to discuss her incredible new novel The Natural Way of Things which is INCREDIBLE, the book – though the interview is a hoot too. The last few episodes have been delayed due to Simon’s personal life being bonkers but it is back next week with Kit de Waal.

Get the RSS link for the podcast by clicking here.
You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.

2 thoughts on “Ep 155; A Summer Spectacular

  1. Thomas and Simon don’t worry about your comments on the political storms brewing on both sides of the ocean. You are right both have racists undertones. I think we are afraid to talk about it but we have to. It is easier to accept Trump as a racist than it is to understand all his followers. Is it the same in England?

    Can you come up with some books that might get us talking about the tough topics of each other’s prejudices, what we experience and how to get beyond? Maybe if we start small with friends, book groups, family and any type of small group we may find ourselves in, it can spread. We need practice in safe environments first.

    Any suggestions?

    Sherry

  2. I blogged about it back in October, but I think Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates is tough, sometimes hard to accept, but imperative reading. Talk about not understanding someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

Leave a Reply