Ep 150; Bookshelf Bingo

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers, where Simon and Thomas celebrate their official 150th episode with a game of bookshelf bingo!

Bookshelf Bingo () Thomas and Simon were pondering the right way to celebrate 150 official, though there have been a few extra, episodes of The Readers and Simon came up with the idea of Bookshelf Bingo. Listeners simply pick two numbers at random and Simon and Thomas find the books that correspond with those shelf and book numbers and talk about the books. Get ready for a lot of book chatter and whole host of book recommendations…
tumblr_static_literature-books-584

Here are all the books mentioned in the show…

The Edwardians – Vita Sackville West
The Vegetarian – Han Kang
Marry Me – Dan Rhodes
Gold – Dan Rhodes
Mrs Gaskell – Arthur Pollard
The Weed That Strings The Hangmans Bag – Alan Bradley
Surprising Myself – Christopher Bram
My Policeman – Bethan Roberts
The Finishing School – Muriel Spark
The Fox and the Star – Coralie Bickford Smith
Sunset Park – Paul Auster
Watson’s Apology – Beryl Bainbridge

Arthur & George – Julian Barnes
The Girl with Glass Feet – Ali Shaw
Minotaur – Benjamin Tammuz
The World of Upstairs Downstairs – Molly Hardwick
The Natural Way of Things – Charlotte Wood
Family Values – Wendy Cope
The Ripening Seed – Colette
Hotel du Lac – Anita Brookner
A Start in Life – Anita Brookner
Some Tame Gazelle – Barbara Pym
The Cement Garden – Ian McEwan
Flesh & Blood – Michael Cunningham
Wait For Me – Deborah Devonshire
1984 – George Orwell
Ordeal – Nevil Shute
Kafka on the Shore – Haruki Murakami
A Shower of Summer Days – May Sarton
Falling Angels – Tracy Chevalier
Andorra – Peter Cameron
Some Kind of Fairytale – Graham Joyce
The Loved One – Evelyn Waugh
The Making of the English Landscape – W G Hoskings
Mystery in White – J Jefferson Farjeon
Human Voices – Penelope Fitzgerald
Offshore – Penelope Fitzgerald
Scottsboro – Ellen Feldman
Leaves of Grass – Walt Whitman
Mariana – Monica Dickens
The Happy Prisoner – Monica Dickens
The Tigers Wife – Tea Obrecht
In The Wet – Nevil Shute
The Queen & I – Sue Townsend
The Age of Miracles – Karen Thompson Walker
Under The Tuscan Sun – Frances Mayes
The Birds and Other Stories – Daphne Du Maurier
Run – Ann Patchett
The Pure Gold Baby – Margaret Drabble
The Room of Lost Things – Stella Duffy
Delta of Venus – Anais Nin
A God in Every Stone – Kamila Shamsie

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks when they will be back with more book based banter. Next week Simon will return with a new series of You Wrote The Book with Garth Greenwell – if you have missed the last ones do go and listen, his last guest was Joanna Cannon and they discussed her wonderful debut novel The Trouble With Goats and Sheep.

3 thoughts on “Ep 150; Bookshelf Bingo

  1. I really enjoyed this episode. It wasn’t boring in the slightest!

    Sorry to be pedantic, but The American Way of Death is by JESSICA Mitford, not Nancy. No doubt this was just a slip of the tongue.

  2. What fun! I had completely forgotten about the numbers, and had no idea what y’all were doing at first, but was shocked to hear my name. I was so pleased that it brought out one of the Flavia de Luce books. Thomas, I will second Simon, you should try one …maybe…don’t want to be too enthusiastic lest I turn you off them completely. One of the things I love about those are the casual literary allusions that come up mostly due to one of her sisters. They are a nice change of pace from the average mystery/detective book. And, Simon, don’t be afraid to keep going with them.
    Appreciated hearing more about Mystery in White. I haven’t been able to easily find that one, but I came across a small stack of the British Library reprints in my travels earlier this month and snatched them up. Happy Reading to you both!

Leave a Reply