Ep 132; Crime, Thrillers and Mysteries

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers, this week in the first of two shows in one week (we are really spoiling you) Simon is joined by his old co-host Gavin (who we know you will be thrilled to hear from again) as they look at the books they are most looking forward to in the second half of 2015.

Books For The Rest of 2015 () After catching up with quite a lot of banter Simon and Thomas turn to the main point of the podcast today which is the genre of Crime, Thrillers and Mystery. Now as neither Simon nor Thomas could get hold of an expert on crime in short notice Thomas decided to grill Simon, imagine them in a prison questioning room just to get the feel of the episode, about thrillers, crime novels and mysteries as he reads a lot of them. They discuss what makes a mystery a mystery, a crime a crime or a thriller a thriller and what the difference is betwixt the three. They look at some famous novels in the genre, some lesser known ones and some that have been pigeon holed into the genre and talk cosy, golden and more…

waterstonescrime

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be chatting more book based banter and shenanigans… Next week Simon will be back with You Wrote The Book where his special guest is David Whitehouse, who he discussed Mobile Library with. If you missed him last week with Emily St John Mandel then go and listen to it now as they discuss Station Eleven.

6 thoughts on “Ep 132; Crime, Thrillers and Mysteries

  1. Not to nitpick, but it is SAYERS, not SAWYERS. Is that snarky enough? I am currently reading her mysteries in chronological order. I would suggest Thomas start with her first published title, Whose Body?. My favorite so far, however, has been The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club. Glad to hear some interest in the novels of Josephine Tey. The “stand alone” books she published near the end of her life are all great. I especially enjoyed Miss Pym Disposes and The Franchise Affair.

  2. Let me suggest for Thomas:
    – Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan for Thomas. It’s a thriller with puzzles
    – Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. Similar to DaVinci Code

    For Simon:
    – Defending Jacob by WIlliam Landy. More about the effect of the murder on the community than solving the crime.

  3. Half Broken Things by Morag Joss….I read this book in one sitting on a cross-country flight and I never do that. Here’s the pitch.

    Jean is a house sitter at the end of a dreary career. Steph is nine months pregnant and on the run. And Michael is a thief. Through a mixture of deceit, good luck, and misfortune, these three damaged loners have come together at a secluded country home called Walden Manor. Now all three have found what they needed most: a new beginning, a little kindness, a little love. Living off the manor’s riches, tending its grounds and gardens, they leave the outside world far behind and build a happiness so long denied them. That is, until the first unexpected visitor arrives…igniting a chain reaction that is at once spellbinding and disastrous.

  4. Very much enjoyed this episode. Recently finished The Truth and Other Lies by Sascha Arango. Wicked, sardonic, and completely unpredictable, this is the best crime novel I’ve read this summer. P.S. Simon, I’m with you about Pierre LeMaitre’s Alex. But you must read his Irene and Camille as well. Also, completely, completely agree about A Little Life.

  5. Thomas, I definitely second Tim’s recommendation for The Franchise Affair (Josephine Tey). If you’re interested in the really traditional British cozy, then I’d recommend the authors Robert Barnard (books like Fete Fatale and The Case of the Missing Bronte) and Philip MacDonald (The Rasp is his first book and features ex-secret service agent Colonel Anthony Gethryn, an “attractive, witty, urbane Oxford scholar” :-)). And how can anyone resist a book by James Anderson called The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy?

    Many of these are out of print but fun to look for and pick up at used book stores!

    Simon, I know you aren’t that into mystery series right now but I was wondering if you’ve read any of the Martha Grimes/Inspector Richard Jury series? They get SUPER formulaic after awhile but the supporting cast of characters are so much fun that I’ve always thought the first few are definitely worth reading. The first one is The Man With a Load of Mischief and the third (which is awesome) is The Anodyne Necklace. As a one-off, I just read The Strangler Vine by M.J. Carter which takes place in 19th century colonial India (historical, sorry). It wasn’t my personal favorite but I know a lot of other people who have raved about it. And I just picked up Instruments of Darkness, by Imogen Robertson. I haven’t read it yet but the blurb on the front says something about it being a “ripping homage” to Conan Doyle.

    Sorry – a love of mystery novels is something that’s passed down through generations in my family so I could go on about this topic all day. Love that you guys did an entire podcast on it!

  6. Thomas, as far as Sayers, I think you’d enjoy The Nine Tailors since you have an appreciation for church bells. I’d also recommend Josephine Tey – Miss Pym is one of her better ones.

Leave a Reply