Ep 126; The Nature of Genres

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers, this week Thomas and Simon catch up on genres, and discuss the nature of them and how they might be talking about them much more over the second half of the year…

Catching Up () This week Thomas and Simon have lots and lots to catch up on. They talk about Thomas going and researching his family and his new anglophile obsession, Simon’s surname, reading the Bailey’s shortlist and Simon hosting an Ali Smith book group online, the Fiction Uncovered Longlist (which you can see here), a transatlantic book swapping club, the price of books in Australia and culling/spring cleaning. Oh and banoffee pie.

litvgenr

Genres () The main topic of the show this week is the nature or benefit of genres and if we need them. Partly this was inspired by Kate of Adventures with Words talking about Station Eleven which Simon would have read sooner if everyone hadn’t said how it was so sci-fi which put him off AND the fact that Thomas has been thinking we should do some genre based sections on the show over the coming months. So they discuss the genres they like and the ones they don’t plus the ones that they should dabble with more. They also talk about the pro’s and the con’s of books being put into genre’s and why the industry is obsessed with more and more genre’s month by month.

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back in two weeks with more book based banter.

One thought on “Ep 126; The Nature of Genres

  1. Well, I haven’t been doing much reading the past few weeks as we’ve had a houseful of guests and a double Bat Mitzvah for our twin girls, but as part of the festivities, we went out to dinner at an upscale pizza restaurant in New York where we shared a large table with a group of four strangers. As they stated on their desserts, one claimed that what she was eating was the best thing she’d ever tasted. I had to order one for myself, as it was made up of rather unusual ingredients and had a strange name I’d never heard before. Can you guess what it was?? It was, indeed, the best (and first) banoffee pie I’ve ever tasted and I couldn’t believe it when Thomas mentioned it on the podcast – and was aghast when Simon tried to move him off the topic! Anyway, Thomas, you must share your banoffee pie recipe!

Leave a Reply