Ep 114; The Readers Mailbag & Festive Reads

Welcome to the latest episode of The Readers. This fortnight Thomas and Simon are opening The Readers Mailbag for the first time in far too long, they also have a chat about festive reads as Christmas is almost upon us, but first they catch up…

logo3_728-x-90111

Don’t forget you can find us on Twitter, Good Reads and Facebook now as well as subscribing to us on iTunes.

The Readers Mailbag () Firstly big apologies as due to a technical error Simon thought he was getting your emails and then he went in to search for one he had been told he had and hadn’t and found rather a lot of them. In the first section of the show Simon answers one email aimed just at him, which of course made Thomas most jealous, before they both answer a listener’s conundrum about a short classic to read for their book club.

image2

Festive Books () As Christmas is almost upon us Simon and Thomas decide that they should discuss festive books. Simon believes you should only read Christmas books at Christmas so has a pile ready, Thomas thinks you should read what you want when you want. They both discuss Christmas books they would recommend and also talk about what they will be reading over the festive season be it seasonal or not. They also discuss how they end the reading year.

Books Mentioned in the Show – Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier, The Awakening – Kate Chopin, Lord of the Flies – William Golding, The Age of Innocence – Edith Wharton, Ethan Frome – Edith Wharton, Hound of the Baskervilles – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway, We Have Always Lived at the Castle – Shirley Jackson, The Turn of the Screw – Henry James, Up At The Villa – W. Somerset Maugham, Stoner – John Williams, Crossing to Safety – Wallace Stegner, Where Angels Fear To Tread – E.M. Forster, And Then There Were None – Agatha Christie, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie – Muriel Spark, A Month in the Country – A.L. Carr, The Drivers Seat – Muriel Spark, A Christmas Memory – Truman Capote, Aunt Sass – P.L. Travers, Happy Christmas – Daphne Du Maurier, Christmas Pudding – Nancy Mitford, The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding – Agatha Christie, Agatha Raisin Kissing Christmas Goodbye – M.C. Beaton, A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens, A Christmas Holiday – W. Somerset Maugham, I Am Half Sick of Shadows – Alan Bradley, Barrel Fever – David Sedaris, Mystery in White – J. Jefferson Farjeon, Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell, The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt,The Long Road to the Deep North – Richard Flanagan, The Dinner – Herman Koch, Summer House With Swimming Pool – Herman Koch, The Hopkins Manuscript – R.C Sheriff, Miss Buncles Book –  D.E Stevenson, The Uncommon Reader – Alan Bennett, 84 Charing Cross Road – Helene Hanff, Mrs Harris Goes To Paris – Paul Gallico

Next time on the Readers () Thomas and Simon will be back with a surprise show at some point over the festive period before Simon is joined by Gavin on the 30th of December to talk about the books to watch out for in spring 2015. Before then Simon will be back on Wednesday with guest Sharon Bolton for the latest You Wrote The Book! Until then happy reading.

4 thoughts on “Ep 114; The Readers Mailbag & Festive Reads

  1. Oh my goodness! I work in a busy office and I just about died laughing listening to the 1st 30 seconds of this episode. I’ve listened to it about 6 times now and it’s just so funny! Thanks for making my day with that 🙂 Haha!

  2. I’m reading Gone With the Wind right now and am about 50% through so if I can finish it by years end, that’ll be great. I’m also reading The Mitfords which is massive and I’d like to wrap it up before the end of the year. I probably shouldn’t have picked two massive books to pick up toward the end of the year but hopefully I’ll finish them over Christmas. I really hope you finish GWTW Simon so you can discuss it on the podcast and I can listen along!

  3. Pingback: A Christmas Memory – Truman Capote | Savidge Reads