The Readers Book Club #4; Some Kind of Fairy Tale – Graham Joyce

For the fourth Readers Book Club, and last of 2012, we have brought you a book which seems a nice treat for the festive season as it takes place over Christmas. ‘Some Kind of Fairy Tale’ by Graham Joyce mixes the domestic and the magical making everything familiar yet unfamiliar at once and will have you puzzling over what is real and what is not. It is a real treat of a read and one of Simon’s favourite books of the year.

An Interview with the Author () This month we are joined by Graham Joyce and he discusses ‘Some Kind of Fairy Tale’, where the idea came from etc with Gavin and Simon. They also discuss how difficult it is to give his work a genre, the joys of mixing the domestic with a hint of magic, how important an unreliable narrator can be and why it is nice to let the reader do some of the work and not give them all the answers. Oh and how ladybirds can be scary!

Simon & Gavin’s Thoughts () In this section, without spoilers which is particularly hard with this book, Simon and Gavin discuss how they found ‘Some Kind of Fairy Tale’ overall. Did they both enjoy it, how did they fare with the fairy folk? You can found out spoiler free in this section.

The Readers Panel Discusses… () In the section that always features lots of SPOILERS, Gavin and Simon are joined by Darrin Turpin of Angry Robot Books. We do have to apologise as a technical glitch, and a jetlagged Gavin, meant we lost five minutes of the chat along the way, we do apologise as Darren was really interesting to talk to… though you still have fifteen minutes of him.

Next month on The Readers Book Club () We will be back on the 4th of January for the next Readers Book Club choice which is… ‘Last Rituals’ by Yrsa Sigurdardottir, the first in her series, if you have any questions you would like to ask her then do email us bookbasedbanter@gmail.com or add a comment on the GoodReads thread. We will be back with a normal episode on Tuesday.

One thought on “The Readers Book Club #4; Some Kind of Fairy Tale – Graham Joyce

  1. I loved this book. It will be one of my #1 books of the year. Like Snow Child, I probably never would have read this book but for your podcasts. (Well, that’s true of many books.) I gave my daughter a copy of Snow Child for her birthday last year and may give her one of this book for her next one. The only issue that I had with this book was that some of the “fairyland” scenes were just a little over graphic, imho. Just for the record, I love fantasy books with wizards and quests, but I do not consider this book “fantasy.” It is just too different from the books normally considered to be in that genre.

Leave a Reply