The Readers Episode 29; The Readers Summer Book Club More Details, Bookish News & Guilty Pleasures

This weeks episode is possibly the most bonkers in The Readers history as Gavin is poorly and Simon is hyper on life and a bit speedy and rambling. We have the Summer Book Club dates, bookish news such as no Pulitzer Prize for fiction and David Eggers refusing to be at an award yet taking the cash. Also up for discussion… guilty pleasure reads.

The Readers Summer Book Club 2012; The Dates (01.00) In the first section of the show we discuss the Readers Summer Book Club list again (briefly) to explain how it works further and with a change to the order of titles and their discussion dates which are…

28th May – The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan
4th June – Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan
11th June – Packing for Mars by Mary Roach
18th June – Bleakley Hall by Elaine di Rollo
25th June – Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
2nd July – Now You See Me by S.J Bolton
9th July – Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord
16th July – Pure by Andrew Miller

Bookish News (06.03) No Pulitzer Prize for fiction this year. For the first time in 35 years there has been no novel chosen for the Pulitzer Prize this year. Gavin and Simon ponder why? Where the books just not good enough? Was there not a great American novel in 2011? Gavin and Simon also discuss David Eggers decision to accept The Gunter Grass Foundation Prize but has shunned the ceremony. Why? Should he have turned down the prize too? Why do authors and judges sometimes pull out of awards?

Guilty Pleasure Reads (21.26) Why do people label some of their books as ‘guilty pleasures’? Should we have any books we feel guilty about reading? Gavin and Simon look at their reading habits and wonder if they actually have books they read they might not talk about and why.

Next Week on The Readers (38.11) We will be doing a World Book Night special. If you are a giver, like Simon, we would love to know what you are giving away and why you are giving it and how. So let us know. Until next week…

6 thoughts on “The Readers Episode 29; The Readers Summer Book Club More Details, Bookish News & Guilty Pleasures

  1. Interesting discussion on guilty pleasure reads. I’m a completely non-ashamed lover of genre books, including romance novels (which, yes, even include a Mills and Boon every now and again). The great majority of them give me pleasure, without any guilt at all. There are a few here and there, though, which I would classify as guilty pleasures. They’re books which I objectively recognise are really, really bad, and yet I enjoy anyway.

    There’s one particular author called JR Ward who writes pretty much exclusively guilty pleasure books, and I think she’s the perfect example. The dialogue makes me cringe, her world-building is crap, even the characters’ names are pathetic. And yet her books suck me in and I end up viscerally enjoying them, even as I tell myself I shouldn’t be, because they’re so BAD.

    PS – I’m giving away Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman for World Book Night. I’ve tried both authors on their own and haven’t been able to finish the books, but this collaboration is just perfect and hilarious.

    • Nothing wrong with a Mills and Boon. They sell in their millions and one of my friends is writing two so I have no snobbery on thta one personally.

      Interesting thoughts on the Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman collaboration.

  2. Pingback: Podcast: The Readers Summer Book Club Schedule | Gav Reads

  3. Pingback: Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came – M.C. Beaton | Savidge Reads

Leave a Reply