The Readers Episode 15; Official Bestsellers of 2011, Reading Challenges and Richard and Judy vs. The TV Book Club

Don’t forget you can find us on TwitterGood Reads and Facebook now as well as subscribing to us on iTunes here.

We have a jam packed bookish sandwich of an episode of The Readers this week with a little more of a UK twist than usual as we discuss the Official Bestsellers of 2011 and the UK’s biggest book clubs Richard and Judy vs. The TV Book Club. If you are one of our international listeners fear not as there are many international books available and we talk reading challenges which brings readers from all around the world together, plus as usual there is lots of book based banter and laughter.

The Official Bestsellers of 2011 (01.37) the Guardian have shared the list of the offical best selling books sold in the UK in 2011. Gavin and Simon take a look at the list, look for any of their favourite books and discuss what the top sellers were and why they think they did so well. Can you guess what was number one?

Reading Challenges (08.28) we all like a challenge don’t we? While Simon has sworn of starting any challenges or read-a-longs this year (something that by the end of this episode he has broken but as it’s in the name of the Readers so its allowed) but he has started one by joining in with Kim of Reading Matters ‘Australian Literature Month’. This leads to a discussion of reading challenges in general, why do we love joining them, what are the best ones and what are the pit falls? We would love to hear from you all about any challenges you are taking part in and any we might like that can match our ‘whim reading’, suggestions please.

Gavin and Simon also discuss the idea of a ‘Readers Challenge’ in 2013, any ideas?

Richard and Judy vs. The TV Book Club (18.15) in the UK we have two book club powerhouses in the form of Richard and Judy’s Book Club and the TV Book Club, both their lists were announced last week. You can see them here and here. Gavin and Simon go through the lists and look at which books they will be picking up and why these book clubs have proven so popular.

What We Have Read, Are Reading and Want to Read (31.45)  Gavin and Simon share what books they have had on their bedside tables and which ones are fighting to join them.

Gavin has read: The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Gavin is reading: Hilldiggers by Neal Asher
Gavin wants to read: Light Lifting by Alexander MacLeod

Simon has read: Down the Rabbit Hole by Juan Pablo Villalobos
Simon is reading: The Auschwitz Violin by Maria Angels Anglada
Simon wants to read: War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

Next Week and News (47.55) We have left a forum open on Good Reads for what you would like us to talk about over the next few weeks. We also have re-opened The Readers International Book Awards 2011 and we have a teaser page for The Readers Summer Book Club. Until next week…

Get the RSS link for the podcast by clicking here.
You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.

4 thoughts on “The Readers Episode 15; Official Bestsellers of 2011, Reading Challenges and Richard and Judy vs. The TV Book Club

  1. Thanks again for flagging up Australian Literature Month… Gav’s comment about Castlemaine XXXX made me laugh — I spent a couple of years living downwind of the brewery in Brisbane. And yes, Garth Nix counts — as long as the author is Australian it’s a contender. ;-)

    • I am commenting back and saying ‘no worries, of course we would promote it’ just 4 months too late. Dreadful admin errors have occured as you can see ;)

  2. I was intrigued by the book club listings both having the same book on them (SJ Watson’s “Before I got to sleep”) to go and look it up. For the SF genre readers out there, an excellent first person narrative of someone who wakes up each day not remembering what happened to them on the previous day is Gene Wolfe’s “Soldier of the Mist” from back in 1986. The protagonist is a mercenary fighting for the Persians in their second invasion of Greece in 479BC. After he receives a wound that affects his memory, he no longer remembers his name and must navigate the ancient world despite his amnesia. This means interacting with characters who may wish him well or ill but whose intentions he has no inkling of.

    • I am going to tell Gav about Soldier of the Mist and make him read it now, thanks Gonzalo, sorry for belated response.

Leave a Reply