The Readers – Episode Nine; Books, Blogging & Culling

It’s a very bookish and blogging episode as we are joined by Kim of Reading Matters (who actually introduced Gavin and Simon to each other) for a very book based banter filled show. From book blogs and adding lots of titles onto your TBR’s to having to cull and clear out we discuss getting books and getting rid. The lovely Polly of the book blog Novel Insights gives us her top five books and of course, as always, we share what we’ve been reading and want to read.

Before we go any further don’t forget you can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here we also apologise if anyone couldnt download us last week, we had a mad surge of downloads and exceeded our bandwidth but now we have lots so do subscribe away.

We talk Book Blogging (00.58) with special guest Kim we discuss why we blog about books, what we love about the book blogosphere and if it has changed us as readers?

Polly of Novel Insights Top 5 Books (22.27) we asked book blogger Polly to give us her top five books and what a treat they are for you, she is also a prime example of a blogger who is inspired by other bloggers on what to read next!

How do you cull books and why? (29.51) Kim also kindly joins us for a debate on culling those ever growing TBR’s. Can you ever have too many books? How do people cope with the one book out one book in rule, and how on earth can Gavin already be culling his Kindle?

What we have read, are reading, and really want to read next (40.36) We have nine titles to tempt you with as Gavin and Simon are also joined by Kim to share what books they have had on their blogger brains.

Gav has just read and loved (shock, horror): Thud by Terry Pratchett
He has just started: Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
And quite fancies: Starlight by Stella Gibbons

Kim has just read and adored: Leaving Ardglass by William King
Is twenty odd pages into: Shadowstory by Jennifer Johnston
Can’t wait to get into: Bloodland by Alan Glynn

Simon has been blown away by: My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier
Is currently enjoying: Hungry, The Stars and Everything by Emma Jane Unsworth
Is very excited about starting: The Man Who Rained by Ali Shaw

Next week on The Readers (56.00) the gloves are coming off as Simon and Gavin try to settle the debate on who owns Margaret Atwood, is she literary, is she sci-fi or speculative fiction? Should anyone even dare to pigeon hole her? What’s the fuss about? Well The Readers will be debating (quite heatedly we imagine) all of this next week after having read ‘In Other Worlds’ you have been warned!

15 thoughts on “The Readers – Episode Nine; Books, Blogging & Culling

  1. I fell so in love with this episode! Have a few to catch up on, and this one has encouraged me to go back and listen to them all – not just because lovely Polly mentioned me. All the topics to do with blogging were fascinating, and I loved hearing you all discuss them. I wish I could have been there with you!

    Oh, and you must read Cold Comfort Farm – it’s hilarious, honest.

    • I am going to read Cold Comfort Farm. I am not sure when but it will be in the next few weeks.

      Glad you liked the podcast. I need to send you an email about your top five… I will do that shortly, sorry.

  2. Pingback: Book Blog Based Banter | Savidge Reads

  3. Hi, liked the discussion about “culling” (haven’t had time to listen to the other bits). I see I merited a mention – just for clarification I do own MORE than one book! All my shelves are completely full of them, but yes it is indeed one in one out these days, and I have not bought (for myself) a single novel in 2011.

    • Oh I see, oops sorry DP I totally got the wrong end of the stick. Bad Simon, oops. I cannot believe you havent bought a novel this year. Hope you get to listen to the rest of the episode.

  4. Hi Simon, Hi Gavin

    I think episode 9 may be your best podcast yet! I really enjoyed hearing your insights about writing reviews. You have inspired me to continue with my humble blog. I started a blog because I wanted to improve my writing style while sharing books and films that I have enjoyed.

    I love your blogs and your Tweets and now I’ve discovered your podcast too. Yes, that sounds touch cyber-stalker and in some ways it’s true! Anyway, I shall record a my top 5 favourite books and email it across. Can a boy from Cardiff dream of ever being featured on The Readers??!

    • You must email us your top fve books. You know that Gavin is in Cardiff don’t you, you could actually stalk him for real lol.

      Very nice to hear that we were well together and alone, I am always threatening to go solo, I am a shocker. Oops. We will have to take a gander at your blog.

  5. I so enjoyed this edition – a great conversation about how to approach reviewing (something I’m building towards on my blog). I also felt so much less like a freak from the discussion on culling – I’m relieved that I’m not the only one who has such anxiety about the process!

    I am amused to learn that someone else has a “burn shelf”… all of my books are in my office, except for one small bookcase that sits in my bedroom, next to the window, with a bag behind it, ready to be saved at a moment’s notice. It contains all the ones that I would be beside myself to lose (favorites, first editions, etc.). I’m glad to know I’m not alone in my paranoia!

    Keep up the great work, guys, I’m enjoying these immensely. The only down moment thus far was the sadness I felt when realizing that I probably will always be on the wrong side of the pond to go to the Manchester Literature Festival.

    • Very very belated response, apologies, we have let comments slip on here, bad Gavin and Simon…

      Thank you so much for you comments, we hope you are still enjoying the podcasts as they have evolved. It’s so lovely to hear from listeners, we shouldn’t be so bad at commenting back.

      Isn’t it great that by reading bookish blogs or listening to bookish podcasts we find that the things we thought that we did which were a bit random actually arent, like the burn shelf.

  6. Books on the Nightstand directed me to your podcast and once I catch up with the previous episodes it will occupy a regular space on my weekly listening schedule. Like BOTNS I feel like I’m sitting in on a conversation among friends.
    I can’t wait to hear your Margaret Atwood debate. She is one of my all-time favorite writers, but aside from The Handmaid’s Tale I much prefer her pure literary fiction.

    • Thank you so much for your kind comment Suzanne. Hope you enjoyed the Margaret Atwood show?

      Very very belated response, apologies, we have let comments slip on here, bad Gavin and Simon…

  7. Lovely to be able to put a voice to familiar names Kim and Polly. As I think I’ve said on Simon’s blog in the past, I spend a lot of my time worrying about all sorts of things but a “TBR pile” is not one of them. If acquiring lots of books makes you feel good that’s great but when you feel you have more than you can cope with then cull, cull, cull.

  8. Culling books is a new thing for me. I got a kindle about 5 years ago (sorry Simon) and have been spending the last year of switching my paper books to my kindle. I do keep some of my favorite books, or out of print books. After switching them to my kindle, I put them up for sale on half.com. My husband is in the US Air Force and we move around the world every few years. After the last move, and having 14 boxes of books to move, I knew it was time to cull some. It’s alot easier to keep my 700+ (and growing daily) library on my kindle, than having all those books around the house. Sorry Simon… 🙂

    Good job guys! I love your podcast!

    • Very very belated response, apologies, we have let comments slip on here, bad Gavin and Simon…

      Don’tr apologies about the Kindle, I have learnt that even Waterstones have now given into it, which I find unbearable, but I think I have to face it, I am clearly the out of date person on this whole debate.