The Readers – Episode Seven; A Sherlock Special

Get the RSS link for the podcast by clicking here.
You can subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes here.

Welcome to The Readers ‘Sherlock Special’ where in our seventh episode we discuss all things Holmesian (is that a word?) as the dark foggy nights draw in here in the UK.

Why do we love Sherlock Holmes so much? (00.50) We don’t just mean Gavin and Simon, who are massive fans, but readers in general. Gav and Simon talk all things Sherlock including his appeal, the films, the spin off books and their very favourites. It’s a mini Sherlock Fest!

Horowitz on Holmes (14.00) Simon meets Anthony Horowitz to discuss his new novel ‘The House of Silk’ which is an all new Sherlock Holmes novel and all that ensues with such a task and why it will be the only one.

Gav and Simon discuss ‘The House of Silk’ (27.14) as they have both been reading the same book again. Did we get on with it as we are both such fans; you’ll have to listen to find out!

If you still need any convincing that it’s time to read some Sherlock then Anthony Horowitz rejoins The Readers with his Top Five Holmes stories (36.25) and now you have no excuses what so ever.

What we have been reading, are reading and want to read (37.24) Gavin and Simon discuss the latest books on their radars all with a slight Holmesian twist…

Gav has been reading: Dark Matter by Michelle Paver (also discussed in Episode Four)
Gav is reading: The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz
Gav is desperate to read: The Immorality Engine by George Mann

Simon has been reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
Simon is reading: The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Simon is gagging to read: The Devil and Sherlock Holmes by David Grann

Next week on The Readers (46.46) we will be getting down to some basic bookish banter that takes our fancy, we could end up discussing anything! Be warned.

7 thoughts on “The Readers – Episode Seven; A Sherlock Special

  1. Pingback: You Have To Listen To This – #HorowitzHolmes | Gav Reads

  2. Pingback: The Readers; Double the Delight & We Want To Hear From You… |

  3. Pingback: Audiobook Review: The House of Silk by Anthony Horowtiz Read by Derek Jacobi (Orion) | Gav Reads

  4. Only just listened to this one (had several essays taking up a month of my time) and I was completely geeking out over all the Holmes talk. I’ll admit though, I dislike the whole idea of Watson as ‘bumbling’; he’s a doctor, so he’s obviously well-educated, but he gets overshadowed by Holmes’ absolute brilliance. And I’m absolutely stunned that Anthony Horowitz mentioned “The Devil’s Foot” in his top 5, which is my personal favourite.

    Just a quick note to say that you’re doing great work still.

    • Very very belated response, apologies, we have let comments slip on here, bad Gavin and Simon…

      I agree with you baout Watson being bumbling, I have never thought he was, I mean in comparison to Sherlock then maybe a little but overall no.

    • Oh thank you NIAB, that sounds like it is worth a look and so I am off to do so.

      Very very belated response, apologies, we have let comments slip on here, bad Gavin and Simon…

Leave a Reply